Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Congratulations to an old friend

My oldest friend from college got married last weekend. He was indeed the oldest friend I know, I have known him since we were 19 years old in college. He was my benchmark and epitome of extreme hard-work and stress - this was one guy who at college copied my Physics paper, but later throughout university we corresponded closely - he went to UK Birmingham and I went to Australia. Throughout the years after we graduated, I joined an IT consulting firm, and he worked for his sponsors, a family business in Ipoh.

Initially we still met every Chinese New Year on and off, and then I went for overseas assignments, and he continued to work at a remarkable pace, and slowly we did not touch base anymore. One day a few years later, I bumped into my old friend in Mid-Valley - it was timely and we resumed being good friends.

Fast forwarding, he was a guy whom I once fancied but then later considered my "oldest" trusted friend. I could never call him my best friend because he was so busy he could only appear once in 3 months or so, and only after being reminded a few times. He used to not be able to answer the phone then learnt to answer and speak only two sentences.

TK Lim found himself a beautiful wife, Joan, and they were married last Saturday. I am very happy for him, but sad too that even as a friend, I missed the most important part of his life, the times when things did not work out in some of his work areas, and when he found his other half. Perhaps I missed or I was never allowed to see these parts. Whichever, it has passed, and life goes on, no regrets.

Congratulations for finding yourself a wonderful partner in life. I hope you treat her more important than work, and I know you will. Your oldest friend here does not want you to feel sorry for not keeping me in the loop, I know why you did so.

Don't be a stranger.

No comments: