Monday, December 10, 2007

The Freedom of Speech

No, this blog is not about politics or anything mildly related to freedom and rights. After a prolonged absence from blogging, the last thing I would want to try is to be political (especially when we are all monitored now ... :-) ).

I had been sick for almost 3 weeks +. During this period, the week before last, was my worst, I lost my voice for 5 days and could not speak at all. I cancelled one big client meeting after queuing for a slot to meet for one month. I decided, I am sure the client can wait -> this was the first time I thought about it this way - I guess the 3 weeks of cough mixture has retarded me slightly.

The weird thing about not being able to speak was that, initially, I kept trying and trying, and eventually I decided, the docter really means it when he said my larynx was inflamed. And then, the other problem was the phone. It would ring and I would stare at the number and not being able to pick up the phone, when I was perfectly ok otherwise, was a torture. Then I would SMS back the caller saying my reason for not picking up. Eventually, weekend came and I still could not talk. Guess what I did - I switched off the phone.

I guess, I need to learn, when not to talk. And that silence is sometimes both a punishment and also a learning experience. When I did not talk, I found it more peaceful, as there was no expectations for me to do so, meant that nothing was also asked from me!

The freedom of speech, means, sometimes, not speaking. I learnt it the hard way.

And, yes, I know, I speak like a workhaholic. Bring back the old MC.

2 comments:

NekoHime said...

Get well, friend :)

May Ching said...

Thanks. Am fully healed now, but I think I damaged my larynx. Now after a long day and I am talking too much, voice gets hoarse easily. Obviously someone up there telling me not to talk too much.