Monday, July 14, 2008

40% Effort, 40% Willpower, 10% Science, 10% Technology ... and a heart for glory

This was quite an interesting conversation. It was about our upcoming trip to Mt Kinabalu, done on a one month preparation. I would rank my fitness level and readiness about middle of the pack despite I have run races for a while. Climbing is certainly a different set of muscles... However in terms of Effort, Willpower, Science and Technology, I think I would rank top 3!. Effort because I do believe in training, Willpower because I am an endurance runner first before a climber, Science - I've discovered Phiten (http://www.phitenmy.com/), and Technology - the walking stick I have from China and my trail shoes....!!!

Three years ago, I had not participated in any races, and I climbed Mt Kinabalu, with about 3-5 months of training on and off. This time, I believe I have more of willpower, effort, science and technology to counteract the lesser time for training.

Above all, I believe I have the "heart for glory"....

Anyway, another story here - I saw a malay lady, she was panting up the stairs at Batu Caves last saturday. I was on my 4th round, but almost starting to feel the pain at the calves. She stopped, and I decided to strike a conversation with her to lepak a little. She asked whether I was going to KK, and I replied, yes, next week. I asked her when she is going, she said, in October. Then she told me, she is 54 years old (she looks like mid 40s only) and she was loaded with a backpack and adequately dressed for training. She asked me how old I was, and whether I thought she can make it to the top. I said - "I think you can". She had the "heart for glory" and I knew I inspired her when I said that without hesitation! (She even took a photo with me...). The next thing I knew, she was on round 2 and 3, even though she said she will only do 1 round.

See you at the top!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A good sleep rejuvenates you and gives you energy to work further. It's important to get a good sleep. We never check that how comfortable or how good our pillows and mattress are.
I am using some Phiten products for having a restful sleep. here are some products which i suggest for you guyz.

Phiten Mattress


Phiten Pillow


Phiten Pillow case