Monday, July 07, 2008

Siemens 10km Run - what are you running for?


The theme of this year's Siemen's Run is quite cool - What are you running for? I thought about it before the race when I read the info of the run and I guess I did not have a real answer, the closest I would have would be ... I am running for "life".

Running has always been pure fun, and for someone with a non-athletic background or family or physique like myself, this has been my personal achievement, and puts a whole meaning of being alive and healthy.

I had not run for a proper race since the Sundown Marathon, this means almost 1month+. How time flies... the only running I've done is in the gym, and from 2-6km only. However, this 10km was not competitive to me, but still I felt an urge to "do well" because it was ... only 10km... heheh, kiasu. Caveat was that I did Batu Caves stairmaster training yesterday, and my calves was a bit painful...

It was good to meet a few good friends on the race this time, some of my colleagues (about 6-8 of them!) who did not run often, or first timers, came by, Wai Fun and Lee San came with their friend Liew (who was a familiar running face), and I saw KC, Tey, Boon and some of their friends.

This was a well organised race, high turnout, good atmosphere, water stations every 2 km+, a band to send you off, and a lot of cheerleaders on display the last 500m. I ran a pretty slow but comfortable race, and did think that I had a personal best, unfortunately was told it was under-distanced. But, for charity, and all the fun, and for a comeback race for me to running - loads of fun!

Next race? Maybe Penang Marathon if CM Lim Guan Eng can get the funding act together...

My calves still hurts ... this is so strange ... I used to have sore thigh muscles after any race, but from the sundown marathon onwards, I've lost that, is it my running stance? Now my calves hurt doubly due to the race and yesterday's training... hmmm

No comments: