Saturday, April 25, 2009

Running in Philippines

I have now done 3 races in Philippines on my assignment there.  Who knows, there may be more.  To give the Filipinos (Pinays/Pinoys) a lot of credit for some of the uniqueness I appreciated about the races in philippines - I thought I wanted to drop a short note on some of the most appreciative things I had encountered.

1. Top one - last Thursday, I received a SMS from Vince Mendoza, from www.finishline.ph - they were the organizers of the Greenfield City Run in Laguna (see last blog post).  He SMS blasted to inform that some 21k runners may not have received their medals, and for those who did not to SMS bib number back to him.  This was what I received roughly :

Vince - "Some runners may not have received their medals for 21k Greenfield City Run, if you have not please sms your bib number and we will send it to you"
Myself - "Bib number 7883, thanks, it was a great race"
Vince (less than 5 mins later!) - "Thanks May.  Where should we send it to?"
Myself (very surprised he addressed me by name) - "
... btw where can I see the photos especially those on the route?"
Vince - "Sure, no problem, photos at www.photovendo.ph"

Wow - this is true customer service!  The organizer having a conversation with an individual runner!  Great job, Vince!  I will definitely join more races if I have the opportunity in the future.  I liked the free bus service, by the way.  And if the medal does come in the post a few days later, I would be so impressed!!

Many credits to finishline team, who not only setup a portal for running, organize races, but also personally answers questions and queries on the comments, and personal mobile.  No race organizer has had the patience or courtesy to entertain in such a personal manner.

2. Second one - I love the signup processes allowing bib, and event t-shirt to be collected at Nike stores.  Despite this may not be the most far-reaching approach, I preferred this and online rather than some weird location somewhere, where not many can get to go to signup.

3. Third one - Enthusiasm.  Just like the bloggers community here, the blogging community for running is crazy in philippines.  I have just yet to convert and start pinging all of them, but I am so impressed with these guys.  They are mostly not very old, and just new runners all.  

A few notable ones are :
www.takbo.ph (first forwarded to me by Ellen from SMART, apparently takbo, i guess by now, means run)
www.runrio.com (one of those young dude coaches around)

4. Fourth one - Race results.  Ok, on the bib there is a slip to tear off the bar code when you finish.  The "tear-er" person slings this on a hook.  But 2 days later, the results are out for the race, where did the automation come from!??  I am so impressed, because it comes out published in an excel, with race finish time, pace, and where did the automation come from?  Why can't the local races in Malaysia do something similar?

5. Fifth one - the race and the runners itself.  Damn hot.  Guys, I respect all you crazy pacers - running in the early morning sun is not easy, I have a lot lot of respect for all you fellow runners, despite coming from a tropical country myself, the philippines summer is not easy for running in exposed barren lands...! 

2 comments:

doris 桃利思 said...

I particularly like this blog:
http://lonerunner.wordpress.com/
:)

May Ching said...

yes, very funny guy, though i have not met him. !!