Saturday, May 13, 2006

Beijing Postcards-1 - Introduction / Nike Lookalike

I had a whirlwind tour of Beijing last week, in a training assignment which I went earlier to do some sight-seeing. It was my 2nd trip to Beijing. China continues to mesmerise me in its vibrance, diversity and pure mass. Interestingly anything on blogger was censored in China, so I could not update my blog there. I would like to put in a few random thoughts, I call it "postcards" of fascinating instances in China.
-----------------------------

I spotted this in the busy tourist area of Wangfujing. The logo was a close copy of Nike, the slogan a close copy of Adidas - Impossible is Nothing. The merchandise sold closely resembles Nike's product lines of sports goods, clothes, shoes, etc. On closer look, the shoes were made of very thin material, but the clothes were a bargain.

Is this the new China? Where copies of things closely resembles the market, and prices are much lower than the "real thing" (there was a real Nike store down the road...). I was nevertheless both amused anad fascinated, and I have to say also, I bought a running vest from here, at a dirt cheap price. And the design was better than Nike's.

No comments: