Sunday, May 21, 2006

New Balance Pacesetters 15KM Race

Picture : Alas, all this running can do my figure better... picture courtesy of KC.

My 6th race for the year is a 15KM run today. I was doubtful I would reach the end because of usual out of practice, but somehow again I did. The pattern of my races are in and out interleaving, meaning, in form and out of form. Today I took it pretty easy and was ran a relatively easy and relaxed race, although yesterday I was pretty spooked when I did the usual recon trip to check the race route - so many surprise "little" uphills - I think it took me 30 minutes itself to survey the route, so I was a bit apprehensive about running it!

Instead of race reporting, I thought I would point out the top ten interesting notes about the race.

1. Very good reception - the race was "crowded" - more so because there was only one category - 15km. Kudos to the Pacesetters for generating great expectations for the annual 15km race. From speaking to a few people, they look forward to these signature events.

2. Strong support from the participations in wearing the event vest - this was one of those very rare occasions I saw great support from the participants in wearing the event vest. C'mon, what are you keeping the vests and t-shirts for? I think showing the support is very important, reflective of a strong interest group. Of course, because of this, my friend KC the avid photographer did not have a good chance to take more pretty gals in skimpy and cool running wear shots.

3. Good field of volunteers - for the first time, I saw volunteers taking placards saying encouraging words when you're panting by - this is really cool... it brought a smile to my face and a skip in my stride whenever I saw that.

4. KM indicators well placed - this is the most motivating indicator to runners - knowing there how much is completed and how much to go, especially for those like me who are not running the route for the 100th time.

5. Interesting finishing - liked the finishing in that runners had to traverse the carpark zig-zag with spectators - it was almost like running into a stadium finish (like PJ Half Marathon) - gives you a great sense of achievement.

6. Water stations adequate - though would have done better to have more "endurance" drink. However, PACM is the only organisers who offer endurance drink, most don't even provide any.

7. Pretty serious looking officials - I was wondering if they were from New Balance or FTAAA? Because they were so serious in marking and handing out ribbons. C'mon guys, smile a bit lah... after all I got to get excited to run towards you to grab the ribbon :-)

8. Good mix of participants - Once again, despite that running appeals to the older audience, there was a strong mix of participants at all ages.

9. Green volunteers aplenty - This was a nice gesture of the organisers to provide the volunteers with t-shirts - it was a good clear indication of the number of people who were selfless in organising or assisting to make a good race.

10. Good wheather - can you believe it looked like it was to rain but it did not? The sun did not come out and coupled with the good route of the hills (okay, in exchange for the shady trees!) proved to be a pretty nice running day.

I enjoyed the race, see you next year.

No comments: