Sunday, January 03, 2010

Twisted Fate - A wet day ends with a meeting with a new friend


Welcome to 2010 with a 20km run from Bukit Aman to Hartamas with Perli, luckily we started early at 630am (EARLY? this is late already!) - and pushed off in a rain respite. Halfway across at 5km mark, the rain drops started to pour and another km, we were fully drenched.

The rain however did not dampen my spirits - in fact, I actually loved it! Strange conditions but I do believe the rain separates the dedicated and committed from the safe players. Dedicated and committed meant that each person you pass by drenched to their toes deserves a nod of respect, especially along the Hartamas route.

Perli is a great pacer - she runs at her pace but slows to match mine when she needs to, and she does not push too hard if she sees I am slower than I need to be. In any case, we were rewarded with one 100plus at Hartamas drenched wet with a camaraderie of runners, and then back at Bukit Aman, when it finally stopped halfway, with a Tropicana Twister mixed with 100plus.

Incidentally, as fate would be I met with Ija and her husband the first time - Ija is the stranger I offered some cash near the heart of KL for a drink during the KL Marathon. Twisted fate or whatever, she called out to me in bukit aman today, she too had done the Hartamas route in the rain, and I was again carrying a Tropicana Twister (she remembered me with the twister in the KL Marathon).

My next runs will be a 25km, followed by a 30km in New Balance 30km race on 17 Jan - I need to push to meet the cutoff - what happens without the cutoff? I think I may not get the medal.. but 2010 - great start to running...

... and good meeting with the rest of friends today along the route.

No comments: