Friday, November 04, 2005

Picking a good read

Definitely not looking forward to the coming long haul flight to US. One thing I absolutely dislike is the jet lag feeling when you get there, and the same feeling when you get back. One of the questions which most people ask me is what I do on the plane for such a long haul flight. Guess what's my answer? You guessed it!!! SLEEP! Despite the attempt to do so, killing time is difficult, and sometimes between sleeping and watching movies, it does help to read a good book.

As I was looking to pick a good read for the upcoming trip, I rummaged through my house for my latest buys which may qualify for the long trip. The last few reads are as varied as the sky and the earth, I thought I'd share them here :
1) The Seven Summits of Success - This book is a pretty thin volume, written by a journalist Rebecca Heller, who scaled the "seven summits" - the highest mountain on each continent. She was an amateur who took on Everest as a goal, and since then has moved on to do the seven summits, and is the first British woman to do so. In the book she relates the process of preparing for and conquering these mountains, the motivation behind her actions and her learnings, leading to seven leadership points. The book is a mix of leadership and also personal story of her conquest, I was especially interested in this after the KK ascent!

2) Sudoku - Yes, I am one of those dumb fellas who has since subscribed to this craze. This is one of those 'cheaper' ones, the first one I bought when I read about this puzzle phenomenon going on, and how it recently invaded Malaysia as well (look at the books in the store!). The amazing thing is that I just got the hang on it recently, but.... surprise surprise, I have YET to solve one puzzle in the book!!! (This is quite embarrasing, I guess my puzzle solving skills have decreased linearly with age!!!). A likely candidate for the trip as I always fall asleep after 20 minutes trying to solve these!

3) Alberto Salazar's Guide to Road Racing - I actually 'ran' into this book, in looking through a series of golf books in a book shop. I admit I am very interested in racing recently but very worried about training, and this was a pretty decent book with a mix of realistic and scientific facts. I am still on this book, it is more of an ongoing reference than a read, as it needs re-reading from time to time to benefit from the advice.

4) Tom Peter's Guide to Leadership - What? Another leadership book? Again, this was an easy reference read, it is more of a pocketbook than a book, has lots of pictures and illustrations. I read this waiting for my MyKad registration in Putrajaya.

5) DK Travel Guide to Shanghai - No, I've never been to Shanghai, and I've yet to make plans to go... just that I did had the tinge of intention to go to visit Mun Lan, and I told her that when I commit to buying a book, this usually means I'm going to make the trip soon... she merely said "I listen first.....", she does know me well...

So, last 5 buys, none of them readable on a long trip! I need a story book... or maybe I need to extend my conversational skills to the next passenger... oh man, the long trip sucks... Anything to recommend?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
i think the puzzle and the shanghai read is good.
Reasons:
1. Puzzle will bring you to dreamland
2. Shanghai...you need to do some ground work for our trip next year:)
Fun

Anonymous said...

hhmm, do not know how to post my comments, trying again..

Anonymous said...

hi,
i think the puzzle and the shanghai read is good.
Reasons:
1. Puzzle will bring you to dreamland
2. Shanghai...you need to do some ground work for our trip next year:)
Fun

7:28 PM

Anonymous said...

Try the "Rules of Management" by Richard Templar ... however, read only up to page 120 ... after that ... he just repeats himself ...

Steve.

Anonymous said...

Wai Missy,

All the books u have now is too 'deep' and need to much brain power! U need to chill and relax man for the trip!

Go for Harry Potter instead! Have you read the last one? Easy read without the need to think too much!