Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Subang Jaya 10km Run


Photos lifted from KC - most dedicated photographer (taking photos even when he's sick - I know he is when he drives 500m to the stadium :-) and comes just before the start of the race!!)

It was very amusing to read KC's caption to the photo (look closely!)... I wanted to laugh so hard when I saw it as I am a very imaginative person, I could imagine the next photo I am either doing a somersault slipping on the dry twig, the dry twig jumps up and snaps my face, I fall over backwards, it flies backward and hits the oncoming crowd... well so many possible scenarios similar to the animation joke flying around the internet on the head-butt from Zidane in the world-cup finals. Excellent photography and light humor!

I was pretty impressed with the Subang Jaya 10km run. It was well organised, had a proper "atmosphere", got the sponsors and the media all hyped up. The morning started well as I found a reasonable parking nearby by following the BMW in front of me who parked next to me and was participating in the run too. Well, nowadays runners are all rich people...

The stadium also proved to enable the runners a proper ground for warm-ups. Well, my co-runners decided to save energy (as first time runners), so they were looking at me as though I was lunatic when I jogged once around the field, in two separate intervals to keep the warm-up going.

At the flag off everyone was whispering about the handsome MB whose youthful looks had gotten the media attention a few weeks back. We all praised how "leng-chai" he had become! At the shot of the gun, for the first time, I actually chatted with Azlan for about 100m - he was actually asking me a serious question! Then I decided it was his strategy to distract me as we bet on who could finish first (him being disadvantaged from the fasting), so I ran off without fully answering haha...

The water stations or lack of any at all totally distracted me from the 4km+ onwards. Normally I pace for water stations as a motivator, but to discover the motivator was gone really required me to do some internal meditating haha (in my heart, I amused myself with the thought of the girl who started off pacing with me who was clutching a gel pack and how she would encounter the difficulty to swallow like me during KLIM half marathon! well after being shamefully refocussed on people's misery, I managed to refocus on the butt in front of me again).

The finishing was so deceiving, but I have been deceived before (KLIM!). The u-turn was at the end of the road!!! So you would be seeing the MPSJ building, running past it, way past it, going downhill, way way past, then turn back...! What a teaser..

I loved stadium finishes. It is motivating to be running the ring around the track as though you were coming in for a real competition. Although this one was a bit messy (yeah, the silly A/B finishing was on the grass, I heard someone got injured rushing for the finishing), the atmostphere and track was still motivating for me. At about 50 m from the entrance to the half of the track before the finish, I actually sped up when I saw KC taking photos, this also turned out to be a good time to push the momentum for the finishing. For such a lazy attempt, position 62 is not too bad lah.

Definitely an easy and good run. See you next year!

Photo - running pals and met a guy with the same number as TKM.

No comments: