Sunday, January 13, 2008

Nostalgia - my San Francisco days...

Postscript - I could not resist - both photos here added later, intentionally small as it is intended only for those who know them. They are dated 1997, and used my K800 phone to photo a photo. I am in the second photo below.
Pic 1- Hari Raya and Chinese New Year in SF
Pic 2- Looking across at Alcatraz
-----

There are people who look back at photos and pictures of the past and feel, wow, this was what I was then, there are people who look back and wonder, wow, what has happened to these friends, and then there are those like me, I feel nostalgic.

If there was one project or assignment which has really been in my memory for my career, it would be the time we had spent in San Francisco, as a first leg of a project using a global asset for a local client. We were there for 6 months and our motley crew was a handful of american, canadians, and a handful of us malaysians, and a Frenchman, and a HK guy. That was 1997, 10 yeara ago. 10 years has passed very quickly.

I had a few encounters with this nostalgic 10 years encounter recently.

I met LH, my ex-supervisor who is back in the same company, she had left just about 9 years ago, just after the assignment where I was in a short sojourn in San Francisco. She looked older, though what did I expect, it has been almost 10 years. The old LH emerged, I could see she was still a very focussed, go-getter, though I did not know her too well then. And suddenly, here I was, at the same level of the organisation with her. And through 10 years, I've kept the same path with this company, and she has taken another, which brought her to Australia now currently back in employment with us. I was not sure to treat her as a supervisor which was the relationship we left off as, or as a friend, whom it never really had been or as a colleague, an equal. LH, I respected you a lot and will always respect you, you gave me the foundations of being a survivor in this organisation, many years back. And we had a blast in one of my most memorable assignments.

JR, whom I've been in contact with and had been for more than 10 years, shared also the same experiences we had in San Francisco, 10 years ago. Dear JR just got married to a lovely bubbly lass, and looks likely to be coming back to working closely with us again in the near future. JR, whom I've had the pleasure of knowing since he was part of the firm more than 10 years back, whom I've had the pleasure of many ski trips with then when we were all bored in San Francisco. Years has passed, and you have never changed, you have the passion to enjoy the best in life. Congratulations and all the best.

SL, after 10 years, and a few meet ups in between, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Beijing, you are back in lovely KL for our friend's wedding. Can you imagine, meeting up in 4 different countries, and if you throw in KL and SF, we'd have had met in 5 different locations, which is truly, a global connection. I admire your courage to do things differently and wish you all the best in your new job. You have indeed the individualistic and unique style which is admirable and also noteworthy. I am sure you will find what you want in everything that you do.

I can't help to be nostalgic. On my way out of the house, I actually accidentally stumbled upon a stack of old postcards, cards, photos from those old days in San Francisco. More than anything, I was there with you guys, and the others not on this list, SL, SR, JF,... 10 years and yet we remember those good old days... (When I have time, I'd post the photos here)




You know what they say, you are old when you ramble of things which has happened 10 years ago...

No comments: