Monday, January 28, 2008

Treasure Hunts - the addictive brain game

When when is the next treasure hunt? Just like the addiction to running, my addiction to treasure hunt had peaked at the end of the year, and then, eh? When is the next treasure hunt?

The treasure hunt bug bit us in end 2006/ towards the whole of 2007. The real sting which got our adrenaline pumped was definitely the highlight of the entire thing, to win the company treasure hunt. Albeit this was a bit of uncontested, I had a good time giving the prize to myself (almost). The feeling on the stage was interesting as I was going from 5th, 4th, 3rd, and finally 2nd, and we did not hear our name!!! Of course, dozens of people wonder why I take part in treasure hunts in the first place, and also with a really interesting bunch of people, my colleagues and to some cases, even my client members!

Firstly I have to say, I have the greatest respect for my colleagues and my client.

I am also mentally challenged by treasure hunts, no matter how tired the week has been or the challenges of the day, to look forward to a different kind of challenge on the weekend was very fascinating.

What was really interesting was also that there were ordinary folks and also well established folks who took to the same interest to the streets every week. It is also humbling to know what you do not know.

I am one who is optimistic. In every hunt, I know I could do better. I am not yet a veteran, but I am confident this year, my team can make the top 5.

As part of my analysis of the hunts I've participated in I thought about listing out what worked and what did not. That would be privately shared with my fellow hunters, but below really is just a couple of comments, and really it is just these hunts below I've participated in (maybe about 10 years ago, I did a couple of hunts, but I've laid of hunting for that long until end 2006)...

2006
Awam Hunt (Womens only) - I drove in this hunt, with 3 other gals. I was blissfully happy in the aircond car when they ran around. I also found myself to think better in the cool aircond car and spotted well from the car. We won something, maybe 8 position, can't remember.

Tiger Hunt Berjaya Times Square - Nasty walking and running around Berjaya times square hunt. Did not win anything, but discovered a new treasure hunt mate (the cap harimau washing detergent man).

Malaysian Mensa Hunt - We challenged ourselves here. TKM our driver's car window broke down in the beginning of the hunt making it a very hot hunt. We also did lousy on time. I think we were about 25 out of 35 consoled ourselves that the audience was too chim ... heheh...

2007
Company Treasure Hunt (Internal) (PD) - 1st 1st 1st, it was very fun, because established the team very last minute, just for fun. Young newcomer hunter hit my non-driving car at the parking lot!!!

Kiwanis Hunt (Melaka) - Biggest lesson of the year, was DQ'ed due to time. Felt disappointed, but met grandmaster CFS.

Multiple Sclerosis Hunt - Eh, what is multiple sclerosis? Did badly 15 of 22 but happy that we were on time after kiwanis...

Lexis Nexis KL Bar - Tough against lawyers.... I think I drove and we were at a 3 person car. Mistake to think 3 can think for 4. And I realise that I may perhaps contribute more on the thinking than driving.

Atmah Hunt (PD) - Eh, we did a right thing, we told ourselves we were novice, and got a novice 1st!!! But I never saw the prize... my fellow hunters ATE my share... :-)

Sun Motor Treasure Hunt - Wow, I love this hunt. The prizes were up to the 100s and the cars 250. Crazy... We got 45th position, and a lousy rice cooker. Just because of treasures ...

Franchise Walk Hunt - Can't believe we signed up for this. We got a newbie, CY, and walked and picture spotted ourselves to 10th position. I guess we still could have been better in the first half when we walked the wrong direction!

Old Georgians Association (OGA) Hunt (Seremban) - Kiasu-ness drove us to explore the neighbouring state, drove ourselves to a non-prize winning position, but mostly quite bad got lost and missed the treasure again. Had a ball of a funny time though...

Amazing I could remember all this... bring on the next hunt please...

2 comments:

Joyce said...

The next treasure hunt is The Trailblazers KL Motor Hunt @ 29th March. We should start 2008 with a treasure hunt win :)

May Ching said...

definitely!!! i agree - but it would be too late, with lack of practice and lay off for 3 months? well, just saw there is one on hormonal contraceptives, heheh, need to find a male partner for it...