Monday, March 03, 2008

Election Fever

Pic - SS2 Ceramah on 7 Mar - it was raining.

The winds of change are blowing. It is a question of change with new or change with old, but I am convinced that this Election Day for Malaysia, on March 3rd 2008 will be carried through with a gust of the winds of change.

I am truly convinced the national coalition, Barisan Nasional will still win the elections and retain a 2/3 majority, hence achieving a mandate for the next 4 years. However, the elections fever has really caught on with the nation, and with strong challengers, new, young blood, unsolved mysteries, allegations of corrupt practices, the governments coalition front should brace itself for a tough fight, and surprise wins and loses will be in store for the rakyat and the government.

I am not advocating directly the opposition's vote, but this is my first elections which I have truly felt the need to exercise my vote, and I whilst I have not made up my mind, I am determined to exercise it responsibly.

This elections, for the very first time, I have attended two lively ceramahs thus far. Although I did not sit through (or rather stand through) the entire ceramah, it was very interesting listening to the speakers, and last Saturday, the first time I attended the ceramah, I went with my parents!!! And yet, old and young turned up, and I saw a friend also bringing his parents. And this is when I know the winds of change is blowing. Very much like Obama vs Clinton, see where Obama is - he is a fiercely strong and motivating speaker. And this is where I see the opposition has changed since the last elections. No longer a paltry 50-60 people last time I saw the ceramah in 2004 elections outside a restaurant we frequented, now the opposition draws a 2000-5000 crowd nightly and with a concerted effort, driven by information.

If you are a strong patriotic citizen, I urge you to listen to and be informed, to seek knowledge and make a responsible choice.

No comments: