Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Olympics Aftermath...



I miss the olympics already. I forget sometimes that I have transformed to become a great armchair sports-person... so here are my few comments and memories of the greatest show on earth (and they have been influenced by later events...) .

1. Diving - what an awesome dive from Mitcham of Australia to overtake the chinese diver for Gold, with an impossible near perfect executed dive, on the last dive. Even the armchair sportsman was impressed. A true champion... but... did you know he was gay? On google I discovered this - rather I would think, what is the big deal? But it seems that these groups highly publicise his win - lets just say they are proud of him! (Picture Credit to the site).



2. Swimming - I probably got tired of Michael Phelps after his 3rd gold. No doubt, he is one of the best olympian in history, if not the best. But what really impressed me was the emergence of the lesser nations - ie. The Korean who won the breaststroke - he broke the China-Australia-America domination!
Picture Credits to Korea Times


3. Athletics - Usain Bolt, need I say more? And the biggest screw up for US for both their mens and womens 4x100.

4. Athletics - Yelena Isinbayeva - awesome focus and mental strength. She said - "The world is my runway and I am here to perform" and perform she did, at 5.05m

5. Badminton - Lin Dan - sorry to ignore Lee Chong Wei here, but Super Dan played an awesome match in the final. I would never say Chong Wei did not perform, but Lin Dan performed exceptionally well!

6. Tennis - Rafael Nadal - congratulations to the newly crowned world number one - best match was with Novak Djokovic - this was really more the gold medal match than the other one with Fernando Gomez.

7. Weightlifting - you would not believe I would watch this, but not only myself, but countless other armchair TV addicts during the olympic season loved weightlifting. My favourite lift? The chinese lady who said she can, and shattered the world record. I cannot remember her name

8. Soccer - playing under the 42C temperature for the final - congraulations to both Nigeria and Argentina!

9. Cycling - Road racing all the way to the great wall of china. Fantastic route and challenge.

10. Marathon - And... the finale, one up for the marathon woman - Constantina Tomescu (38 years old!!!!)
Congratulations and I did watch both the men's and women's marathon. What impressed me was despite the contrast of the two events (womens was in the rain, mens was quite hot), I was humbled by these representatives who really battled themselves to the finishing line - it was inspirational to see the TV broadcast showing numbers up to 60-70 and up to the end position, despite the winner has probably already gotten tired of running their victory lap. It signifies the effort and the triumph of the marathon, and the human spirit.

With this, I hope to have the same inspiration 4 years later from London 2012.

Great show, Beijing.

No comments: