Monday, September 01, 2008

Smoked Out @ Putrajaya MIFC Finale!

Warning - don't be offended by unprocessed lousy photography!

If you have not been to the MIFC fireworks competition (this is the 2nd year it is held), I have to say, it is a truly breathtaking experience, with or without the camera. This year, the Malaysian International Fireworks Competition was held at around the same time last year, and at the same location - at Putrajaya. All the word last year on traffic was unfounded, and together with some budding photographers from my founded Photography SIG in my company, we set to this event to "learn" how to take fireworks.

The first night on 24th Aug (last post) turned out to be a rained washed night, with the rain coming in before the fireworks and in the middle of the fireworks, causing some of us to frantically pull the camera to safety in the middle of the event, whilst I actually took the umbrella out in the middle, and still had a few spots on the camera view.

However, the fireworks was indeed breathtaking, and despite saying "I will not stand another 3 hrs again", a couple of days later, I actually considered doing it again, as I was a bit disappointed in my shots.

Come 29th August, being a Friday, the timing sounded good. However, it was almost not a night to be for me, as firstly I left my tripod at home when I left in the morning to work (intending to go directly after work). Then it followed that I left my house keys behind in a rush, and had to get a spare key. By the time I got to PICC, it was almost close to 830pm, after almost 2.5 hours of travelling from office, to home, to get the tripod, and then finally to Putrajaya. Nevertheless, we had planned to do this second trip and sourced out another location, the cafeteria of PICC, where for RM 12 coupons for food, we could get the verandah and be shielded from rain and best of all, eat and have a seat waiting!

As it turned out, the photos turned out, disastrous and worse as the smoke blew to our direction! The fireworks display was also not as spectacular or formation like as the ones we saw the sunday 24th August (who in fact turned out to be the winner to our surprise). So, here are the smoked out photos (unprocessed).

Pic 1 : The first shot, not smoked out but we were obviously at one corner of the cafeteria (as indicated by my cutting out the last ball of fire)

Pic 2 : This shot was less than 1 min into the fireworks, and already smoked out!

Pic 3 : I found the water layer on the outside of the verandah an interesting reflection, almost a strange cut of the fireworks, but because it was too far away, the reflection was not complete, but it was an interesting idea. (Again, holy smokes!)

Pic 4 : Holy smokes, flowers on fire, in a portrait shot!

Pic 5 : Putrajaya at night, after all the buzz

Footnote : I buzzed KC when I was there (and he was there indeed), and he responded, "wind blow your way" - I was wondering what the heck does that mean... well, that was so clear during the fireworks.

Anyway, I will not miss this event next year, after seeing MIFC, no other fireworks can equate this.

Great Show!

No comments: