Monday, September 01, 2008

Welding @ Happy Merdeka Day Celebration - The Curve 31st Aug 2008

Warning 2: More amateur photography ahead...

After an overdose of fireworks at MIFC within the week, I thought I would chill on trying to go to another crowded site in KLCC, although my wish had been to photograph fireworks at KLCC from Ascott swimming pool (which is on a higher floor). I have seen photos of this angle, and it is spectacular.

Anyway, onto Merdeka Day eve, and decided to check out the party at the Curve, which was blocked out since 7pm+. Last year, the fireworks had been near Cineleisure, and this was where the cop I chatted to told me as well. Unfortunately a tall building in construction had appeared in front of it, and also the view from across the road at the corner of the BU4/11 slip road presented the big ugly building and three spotlights spoiling the shot.

So, I decided to get closer, took out two of the street spotlights, and felt I was quite safe, hmm why no one near me... the crowd was on the street between Ikea and Curve, and about 50 m ahead. And then I heard the countdown, 3,2,1 and .... off goes the fireworks, but where was it?

It turned out to be at the angle directly between the building and cineleisure, and not within my view. I jogged with my tripod to be closer, and well, it turned out all my shots looked like a welder in a construction site...

Nothing beats MIFC, skills or no skills. This was over in less than 5 mins to my disappointment. And I did not know how I could've avoided the building and also then I understood why no one in the crowd was doing a DSLR. Apparently the pros always know where not to go to... but the lazy photographers like me take the priority to the walking distance from house.

Photo 1 - the first shot I took after jogging another 20m to "see" the fireworks. See the ugly building? Cineleisure is on the right. I am on the exit road from Ikano/Ikea.

Photo 2 - This over-exposed shot really looks like a giant construction welding iron! Sigh...

No comments: