Friday, October 07, 2005

Red Box
Last week the entire team went for Karaoke at Red Box at the Curve. The last time I had been to a karaoke must have been years, maybe even as far back as the times when I was working in Taiwan! Red Box originated from Taiwan, and had pretty much the same concept - it was a all in one fun place to hang-out with friends. The room we booked was able to accomodate up to 30 people, I think we had about 20-25 at peak during the night. We booked from 8-12midnite. There was a buffet package which included dinner, and they even threw in a package with 3 bottles of Chivas whiskey.

Arrived there at around 8:40pm, slightly worried that I may be penalised to sing because I was last. But apparently the others were worse time keepers than me... when I arrived only about 10-12 people were there, and they have not even started singing!!!

I was worried that the group was not singing, but soon my worries disappeared quickly. All I can say is that my team is filled with amazing talents and singers. First off the block was Aloysious (he's indian), who sang a chinese song!!! That got everyone warmed up, and before we know it, even I was singing (not solo-lah!). Key notable surprises was Kok Meng, Chinese karaoke king, Kamal who can sing to an audience, Alex - all oldies only (but he's still young!), Joong (our CSG Korean friend) who did a Korean number, and of course our young group who drank nearly all the Chivas - luckily I had a couple of small glasses before everyone attacked it.

There was a short moment, at the end of the session, when I just had a great wave of pride - I had with me here, a team of people, who had pride in what they were doing during the day, could enjoy themselves at night, and whom I will take to the battlefield to help our clients be successful. I was almost filled with pride at the way we just disregarded race, level, talent for singing and was together screaming our hearts out. This team will take us to the end, I was sure nothing will take us down, and I was not in this journey alone.

Best singer of the night went to Alex Tan, who was also birthday boy, good on him, otherwise we would've missed the discounted rate for the night :-)

For a great glimpse of the youth and vibrance of my team, and how we can sing, check out these photos (I took a great portion of them - they were too busy singing!)... see if you can spot me (in t-shirt) http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/joycesau/album?.dir=7f64 (Joyce's album)... I was singing Teresa Teng (yue liang tai piow wo de xin) (now that is an oldie).

No comments: