Sunday, March 19, 2006

Impossible is Nothing? Nothing is Impossible?

Today whilst I was running in the 10km Power Run race, I was behind a guy who wore this Adidas t-shirt with the trademark Adidas slogan, "Impossible is Nothing". Adidas cleverly took the nothing is impossible phrase and twisted it around to become its campaign slogan which became popular amongst the runners. I also know this is a favorite shirt of a few runners I know.

It is not impossible to run a marathon. Hardly 6 months ago when I started competing in races again, my goal was to run a marathon in two years. My target is 2007. However, impossible is not nothing. It is not without effort. And I thank my friend, a runner who reminded me this. To train requires sacrifices to both personal life, work life, to instill some good habits and to get rid of some bad ones. Otherwise, like PCK says, "don't play play", it is not a case of "Just Do It" or "Impossible is Nothing". Being unprepared is worst than not competing. I cannot just go about the same way to prepare for a half marathon as compared to a marathon.


On a different note, today has been an absolute running day for me. Not only did I manage to induct another virgin 10km friend, I also was very inspired by the Commonwealth Games marathon on TV, a repeat telecast I saw later in the evening. In particular, the female gold-medalist, an Australian, did a fantastic time of 2hr 35min and she was 38 years old, and she outran a Kenyan runner on the stadium 400m convincingly to win the gold!

That was inspiring.

No comments: