Monday, August 06, 2007

Adidas King of The Road

I have to say, my most excited moment of this race was standing 5 feet away from Samy Vellu and my colleagues leaning on his Mercedes Benz. Or at least we believe it was his Mercedes.

It had a label Jabatan Kerjaraya and who else in Jabatan Kerjaraya owns a Mercedes?

These runs are a great way to relax. People may think I am mad when I refer to running as relaxing, but serious runners or even regular casual runners understand what I mean.

I opted for 10km this time. I am incredibly unfit, I have only had one or two runs post Penang Half, and one week before when I woke up for KLCC training on Sunday, I gladly slept back as it was raining and I was exhausted from the long hours and stress at office.

We got in around 625am, earlier as we were worried about parking. It was however relatively easy to find parking opposite Sunway Pyramid car park - RM 2 entrance fee. We quickly went over to the other side of the road for the flag off of the 21km participants. It was a bit weird to flag off the 21km at 645am (a bit late), just 15 mins from the 10km participants. I was really glad I did not do the 21km as I was seriously unfit, and also the sun was blazing hot even halfway for the 10km participants!

Whilst wasting some time, we noticed Samy Vellu got on the rostrum for the flag off of the 21km and thought about richochet of the gun if he shot on the bridge. I was seriously contemplating on moving out of the way in case it did, when we noticed he was about to flag off using a microphone .... 3,2,1 (and before the go, everyone was off!!!)... A point to note was the minister was wearing Nike shoes whilst the race was Adidas organised... I guess the Adidas organisers did not do the necessary homework :-)

Running on a deserted highway is quite boring. I guess I have signed up for another highway run next week with the PJ Half Marathon. I hope to be able to get myself rested and up to speed for that better than this week.

Anyway, all in, I did 1:13 mins, and position 126 - I practically walked the last 2 km and the sun was really killing me-- I really regretted not donning my usual running cap and not training enough for the race day. However, I was really glad I received a medal for this slow run. The response to the race was very good, with lots of people participating and an equally

And best of all, my ipod nike+ function was not working, aiyoh, so all the sweat was not recorded how I ran the race... too bad.

I am back in action...!

No comments: