Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Aftermath of a race

Sundays after learning how to run road races has never been the same for me again.

It is always Saturday to anticipate, and trying to sleep early, and always failing to do so, and then waking up in an ungodly hour on Sunday to go for the race. Normally, after the race we would always go for breakfast or I will go home for breakfast, and then followed by my "recovery nap". My recovery nap is usually 2-3 hrs in the afternoon, and I only need this if I have to catch up with work later at night to keep myself fresh.

When I ran my first 10km race many many years ago, my whole day was white-washed as I was so tired, and I needed to hydrate ever so often even after the race. Then when my body got used to it, it was gradually reduced to a day to recover for a half marathon, and then later, I even went shopping or the whole day out after a half marathon. I reckon it is the body which needs to adjust, and I also believe that walking after a race keeps the blood flowing and an easier recovery for the muscles the next day.

I have once tried a foot massage after a race - it was SO painful - some believe this will help ease the muscle recovery, if you ask me, I would say, don't do it!!!!

And during the day when I am not out, I will always be surfing for the next race!!!

1 comment:

BlendedGuy said...

Amazing that different people have vastly different pysiology (mine being the bottom of the chain, not being to run 1km without panting)

You remember the 59 year old man who ran 7 marathons in SEVEN days?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3234479.stm