Sunday, August 12, 2007

PJ Half Marathon

My target of 5 half marathons this year is almost achieved! However, my running performance has not improved!

This was my first PJ Half Marathon. When I started competitive running almost two years ago from today (scroll back in blog, too lazy to link..) I did the 10km at the PJ Half after the Rat Race. It was a great run - I remembered I was placed 55th and I recorded I think 1hr+ - it was one of the fastest race I ever ran (heheh, got worse since then with more runs!) !!!

It was indeed a good 2 years "on occasion" celebration - this race was not difficult, but middle of the years always caught me as being terribly unfit! We lamented whether with our jobs we could ever run a marathon, however, I wish to announce, my target is KLIM 2008. I will make it!

Every run, we always question ourselves why we do it. In fact, my other friend, Ai Leen who ran her first 10km today with another friend Suzannah asked me the other day - have you always loved running? And my response was - no ... but the feeling when you finish the race is so good you would want to do it again!

I did not have good sleep the night before. This is almost getting to be quite a regular thing - I almost cannot sleep well before a run. This time, I had the pleasure again of our regular co-workers - Kell Jay, Lian Tiong, Tee Yau, and new comer Su Ann, who is running her first 21km. We were slightly late, and rushed to the starting line. We saw Keat Seong at the starting line - he was also one of our colleagues and an amazing back to back 21km from Adidas KOTR and Rat Race in between. In between the race, I met another lady whom I met in the KLIM - she apparently was also one of my colleagues - she was pushing me along at around the 10km mark, but I was a bit flat by then.

The turnout was quite poor this year. There seems to be a shortage of runners for this race. I had a general good pace all the way up to the 4km first drinks station mark, I was not sure whether I was running too fast, but I felt a bit keen to slow down from then up the bridge and over the other side of the Federal Highway. Before the 4km mark, my watch marked 16-17mins, and I saw one Kenyan pass me for the 10km race... oh gosh, this was going to be a long race, I thought.

Over the other side, the race was a long and lonely stretch all the way up the flyover and then straight all to Subang airport! Yes, I ran to Subang Airport - and I mean at Terminal 2 carpark and then back...

Along the way, I lacked the focus and stamina to do a good continuous run. There seemed to be a lack of people pacing along around the same pace. The one guy I was trying to followed actually slowed down and walk! And I said I will follow you (Digi style, he was wearing yellow!!) and he said, I pancit!!! So I had some good stretches and some lousy walking stretches between 12-16km. Then I think I walked almost 50% of the last 5 km.

My most amusing moment was that when I was bored running alone especially last 5km, I created my own diversions because I was afraid I may not make it if I drained myself out. One incident, the ambulance travelled for about 50 meters by my side whilst I shuffled, and the lady looked at me concerned (the ambulance door was open). I asked her to go ahead, and when it went ahead slightly I paced up and "pretended" to chase after it with my hand stretched out - there were a couple of cops there at that intersection - they laughed at me!!! The ambulance stopped about 100m in front later, the guys took a smoke break, and when I passed them, I told them "Merokok merbahayakan kesihatan!" and they laughed at me and asked me whether I wanted to have a seat and rest since the vehicle has stopped!!!!

Other than that, it was also good to see people on the other side of the road, it gives each a bit of motivation to go on, and also to wave to those you know.

I finished around my KLIM time, around 2:51 - its a terrible time, but not bad for someone who walked almost half the second half of the race. My best time was still Penang Bridge Half Marathon, which I did slightly less than that for 1.5km more. I did not have enough training, and I did not want to feel the drained feeling again - that feeling comes from pushing yourself and suddenly slowing down.

What was disappointing was that despite finishing within 3hrs (which was my target), the entire stadium was almost half empty, they were giving away prices, no more finishers lane, and worse - no more Milo or 100plus!!! This is such an anticlimax - this was why I felt this years PJ Half was not well organised.

Anyhow, I will rest, for Subang Jaya run, I've signed up but will likely pass it up for another different challenge - a treasure hunt. The body is bashed up, but the mind needs some exercise now.

My target 5 half marathons this year :
-Pacesetters GE20km Race
-KLIM Half Marathon
-Penang Bridge Run Half Marathon
-PJ Half Marathon
-Singapore Half Marathon

2 comments:

BlendedGuy said...

1. Agreed that the organisation of the event left something to be improved on. For one thing, the race start times were never published anywhere.

The entry forms said that registration is from 5am... the staff didn't turn up until 5.15am

2. Would be interesting to hear from your blog on how you recover after the run (if you haven't already posted) . How do you spend the rest of the valuable Sunday ? I mean... you have to wake up at some ungodly hour... (presumably most of us never get to sleep at 8pm the night before even if we wanted to) and stress the body. You must feel like sleepy for the rest of the day.

BlendedGuy said...

Mizuno wave run again this year on Sept 9?