Sunday, July 15, 2007

It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be


I read this book in less than an hour, on my Saturday off day.


This is a pretty good book, from advertising guru Paul Arden, who used to work for Saatchi and Saatchi in London.


I picked up the book because it was a catchy phrase, and when I browsed through it, it had big fonts (!) and also a broader business slang on it.


Normally not to do book reviews, but in my current state of the work I am buried under, I found this book to be inspirational. There were a few key things in it which struck me pretty much.


Idea#1 - Do not seek praise, seek criticism - there is always a deisrable need for each of us to seek approval in our work, and suggested instead we should seek criticism - asking "what is wrong with it?" or "how can I make it better" is more likely to get a more frank and critical answer which we can use to improve, and we are still able to reject the criticism if required.


Idea#2 - Don't be afraid to work with the best - the best can be intimidating but if approached with the right attitude, they will respond positively. Though the chances of gaining the respect of the best may not be easy, it was definitely better than working for the average guy.


Idea#3 - Don't look for the next opportunity - the one you have in hand is the opportunity - we always seem to be waiting for the next big thing to happen - but we should focus on the one at hand - do the best you can with the one at hand.


Idea#4 - It's not what you know, it's who you know - the illustration was the guy who works hard and heads down vs the new executive who goes to talk to people and hands out his cards with a good name for himself. The who you know eventually helps to overcome what you don't know. But what you know if not popularised to who you know is not useful.


Idea#5 - If you can't solve a problem, it is because you are playing by the rules - My favorite as it stands.


Buy the book and internalise it your own way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that last idea too!

May Ching said...

haza, that was my favorite. i guess you're around as old as i am to have live enough to learn and yet still learning more every day ... i always try to tell my younger colleagues how to "cheat" the right way, change the problem, find the solution!

the book is good - mph... and can be finished in 1 hr.

Anonymous said...

May Ching:
Michele L just told me this blog existed - I'm glad I found you! I haven't had a chance to read a lot, but did want to let you know that I am around (and also on Facebook if you're there).

Mag