Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mizuno Wave Run and Terry Fox Run - Aftermath

Mizuno Wave Run 10km 7:30am
I saw the big shoe again, and it reminded me I have only been competitively running for about 1 year+. Last year, after the Mt KK trip (Aug 31st!), followed by the KL Rat Race 2005, I was motivated to running races, and did a spate of races after that, starting from 10km and finally to the 21km at KLIM.

This year, the Mizuno Wave Run 10km was the same route as last year, and I had put on a little weight since last year, and also not as fit as before, though the passion was still there! I arrived at the drinks (nearly halfway mark) quite pumped up and with good speed, only to be fallen by the "double hill" track following the drinks station. To be honest, I suck so badly at uphill because of stamina, and also the motivation "mind over matter"...! So I walked up the uphills part. The only consolation I had was that I finished the last 2km fairly strongly because of the flat and downhill parts and I was also motivated by the need to do it in 1hr 15min to run over for the Terry Fox run nearby!

On arrival at the finishing line (around 1:12-bad time, position 152 of ladies), to my surprise, my buddies were gone!!! I hung around, looked at the long drinks queue and finally settled for the bottled water in the goodies bag - and still no sight of my fellow running buddies whom I came with! Slightly cursing my slowness, I started moving to the Lake Garden area at around 8:55am, thinking that 5 mins would be sufficient.

Terry Fox Run 2006
The crowd here was shocking - there were too many people !!! It was good for the cancer research foundation, but not good for the race - people generally took off before the flag off, and most people took the wrong route because of following the others - and the beginning one has to walk because there were just too many people. I think there must have been about 3000 people there, because they sold 3000+ shirts.

Nevertheless, I am glad I took the family route with a friend, as my feet were really sore/blister was slightly bothering me after the Mizuno race, and the late start time of this Terry Fox race ensured that the sun was full blast out.

Aftermath : Arrived home and slept for 4 hrs. Feet and body recovered after that!!!

Am thinking - how to consider (yes, I am just considering) to run the Singapore Half Marathon with fitness like that? I've got to lose a few kgs and do about 40-50km a week within the next two months to even consider this.

No comments: