Saturday, September 16, 2006

My Father Graduates!




It was a very meaningful day for my dad today. He obtained a Certifate for the Certified Business Coach course with the Universiti Malaya Center for Continuous Education (UMCCed). This was the inaugural year for this course and it coincided with my own company's efforts to teach us to be "coaches" rather than managers, so it was a parallel track for my dad, who at the grand age of 60 something, was able to "graduate" for the first time in his life. What a feeling it must be for him! As a daughter, I am proud of my own father's efforts for lifelong learning, especially on his interest in human development, and also coaching to help others.

On a separate thought, it was my first visit, and a rather switch of roles (as the "ibubapa" instead of the "graduan", to the Dewan Tengku Chancelor as it was in this legendary hall, I have heard all of our local UM graduates has emerged.

My observations were rather strange of this occasion - that the diploma and certificate holders (post graduate and for working people to continue their education) were heavily skewed in race. A great 90% of the majority were Malays, whilst other races made up the rest of the graduates, strangely not reflecting our national race distribution profile. It is perhaps food for thought on why this is the case.

Continuous education should be on everyone's mind, and is indeed a reflection of the person's commitment to education, and a great example for our next generation.

No comments: