Monday, June 04, 2007

Lost and Found

Laksamana Point in Melaka - one of the detours in Melaka after the Kiwanis Hunt


I have not been blogging for a while. I am at a mini dip - this is what the Seth Godin calls it - a mini dip is a period where you are at a chasm and cannot get out of - work has had its ups and downs and currently at a mini-lull where the future is unknown.

On a broader note, I have been hooked onto something more exciting.... treasure hunting! The pic above was part of a trip to Melaka for the Kiwanis Hunt on the 26-27th May - this was the grand prix of all treasure hunts in Malaysia.

We went with spirits high for the hunt and it turned out to be a great lesson learnt. Somehow I was not too perturbed by the "lesson of defeat" but I suppose my younger team members felt really defeated that we were disqualified out of time penalty after arriving late in the finishing point. Not only did we arrive late, we also did not answer the second half of the questions due to time constraints! The great consolation was that we had "potential" because we aced the first half of the questions but took too long!!!

The Kiwanis hunt has always been for the creme de la creme of treasure hunters in Malaysia - it was good to take part in this round's drive to Melaka and also a good lesson learnt for us to know our strengths and weaknesses. Rest assured team Rapid or "lookalike" will be back with more to offer, because we were wisely offered some tips from a wise man and experienced hunter.

I always like to think that, to have potential and lose is better than knowing you have no more potential and still lost.

This is as well a lesson in extremes - the day job that I do demands me to be a leader to others but most of all demonstrate the ability to offer more each day as the bar is raised constantly.

To know that in this instance of reference, treasure hunting, I have assembled the best team with the potential to win is a great feeling, rather than dwell on the lesson learnt this round in Kiwanis, I would like to declare that we have "found" ourselves.

What is lost will eventually be found when you do what you do best.

No comments: