Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Reconnaissance Trip to Penang



I checked out the route last weekend. Actually, that is not true, but I did have a reconnaissance trip to Penang last weekend. It was actually as a last minute guest entry to the Maxis Team Golf Tour, playing at the Penang Golf Resort.





The Penang Golf Resort was situated on the mainland side of Penang, in fact at Kepala Batas constituency - Pak Lah's homeground. In fact, on the day of the game on Saturday, we spotted a helicopter patrolling the skies and heard the loud ceramah's around the corner, and our team heard that Pak Lah was in fact nearby having a function and probably also showing off his new other half to the kampung folks.



This round of golf has definitely nailed the interest back to the game. Watch out, I'm back, and with a more fun and stable game. I don't really curse and swear at every hole or run to look for the ball anymore, I am a lot more relaxed and also really enjoying the game and company.

Due to short notice, I flew into Penang last Friday night and came back on Sunday. After the game on Saturday, we took a cab back to the island and stayed at this comfy place called the Northam.

Back to the Reconnaissance trip - I actually had two opportunities to size up the challenge, despite it being a half marathon. I am a person who is focussed on my objectives once I commit to it - enroute over from the island to the mainland, I noticed with dismay, the bridge has this terrible uphill slope in the middle - and then followed by downhill (what did you expect, it is a bridge for goodness sake!). On the taxi on the bridge I could almost picture myself running the span - I may be even faster than the car, it was always jammed up at the bridge on both occasions crossing it!

On the island, there were many marquees bearing the run and the publicity which accompanied it for Visit Malaysia Year 2007 and more so at the tourist routes. I was on Gurney Drive and it was a pleasant surprise to see one of these marquees every other street light.

This is in fact reputedly the largest race in the country if the organisers can hit about 20000 participants. I am indeed looking forward to the race this weekend. Wish me luck!

No comments: