Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Nike+iPod - Part 2 - Interactivty

In interactive marketing, the first thing that strikes you is always the human experience. When Nike+iPod got married, they did not envisioned the phenomenon which followed in terms of publicity and marketing success of the product. I hand it to the Nike and iPod marketing folks to really package the interactivity into the shoe, the community and the ipod sensor.

Running is really very addictive. It takes a runner to understand this statement. Runners tend to respect each other. When I met one of my clients, a very senior executive in a Singaporean company, and he confessed of running as a hobby and admitted to making the trip to HK specially to do the marathon. I looked at his wiry stature and his age and immediately my respect for him went up a few notches.

Thus, when Nike and ipod build these Nike+ shoes and ipod sensors, they did not count on that this will be a global village - though it is not as though you can run virtually, every runner respects the distance and is proud to show each other what they can achieve. It is really cool when I can review my running mileage online and throw out one or two challenges across the virtual world to friends who are in the system - then we motivate each other to roll in the miles!
The other cool feature I found out more about is the vocal reminder of the distance achieved, and the Lance Armstrong or Paula Radcliffe telling you at the end of the workout that it was your personal best. Short of saying my name, this was a surprising gimmick which bodes well at the end of a good run.

There is no finishing line. Indeed.

No comments: